Sunday, November 28, 2010

Letter to Stephen King

Dear Steve,

I just finished “On Writing”. Thanks. My favorite Stephen King book to date.From your book, I have gleaned the following information. I find it quite remarkable.

My grandmother's name was Nellie Pillsbury, from Shapleigh (Stephen's mother's name was Nellie Pillsbury). I grew up in southern Maine, SPHS class of 1969 (Stephen King grew up in Topsham, Brunswick High School, 20 miles from South Portland) . I attended UMO from 69 to 73 and remember you well (SK graduated from UMO in 1970 and doesn't remember me at all.) . You're "Study Dammit" picture was on my wall for 4 years and we both attended a Kent State “gathering” on the Fogler Library steps in the spring of 1970...). I taught high school, science, for two years in Waterville (SK taught high school, english, in Hampden). I drove a 1960 Ford Galaxy with a blown rear main seal (so did SK). I worked in an old paper mill in Madison Maine with rats as big as cats (SK worked at an old paper mill in Pejepscott with huge rats, the subject for one of his books). I married a girl from Penobscot County;Brewer... she lived on Grove Street (SK married Tabitha from Penobscot County; Old Town... and they lived on Grove Street). I met her at UMO (same with SK). She is my best friend (ditto SK). My mother died of cancer (ditto SK). We have 3 children (ditto SK). Our son, Ryan, a Mech Eng. from UMO, broke his tibia in 30 pieces in 2008 and has battled back from infection, depression and pain med addiction (ditto SK). My daughter, Katie, has a BA in English from UMO (ditto SK). I play guitar (ditto...). I like to write (duhhhh....).

Three and a half years ago, we sold our house in Waterville, quit our jobs and hit the road, coast to coast four times and about to strike out again. It's been a mind expanding adventure. So now, I'm dabbling in your craft of writing. No idea what I am doing, have tried to stop more than once, but seem to be addicted to this solitary obsession.

You may never read this letter (though I mailed it to you...). If you do, thanks for who you are and what you do, not just the writing, the philanthropic stuff, too. We're not that different, you and me; just a couple of Maine boys doing our best. Your best inspires me.

Best regards,

Glen


No comments: