Saturday, June 4, 2011

Karma

Busy day getting ready for next weekend with Katie and Elnur. It's going to be fun. Hope the weather cooperates. Looking pretty good.

We were in Waterville shopping for wedding clothes and getting Connie's hair done. We visited 2 Country Way (open house, being sold again... that was kinda wierd), Eric's Cabin and the cemetery, stopped by the vet for the dogs distemper shots and hit the road south... right into 5 miles of construction, single lane beginning in Sidney.

We queued up in the right hand lane, creeping forward as the 2 lane interstate funneled down to a single lane . And, of course, there were the usual drivers who chose to drive passed the long line, to the front of the line, forcing their way in at the last moment. Sometimes I pull out into the open lane and block these inconsiderate drivers. Today I didn't feel like it. But I sensed my animosity for each driver who pulled the stunt. I was near the merge when a van from New York slowed beside me looking for a way into the line. They were a young family and I slowed, making a space in front of me for them to enter. The driver hesitated and then merged into the line. No biggie. Just a little courtesy.

We drove through the construction area slowly and when it ended we resumed our 70 mph trip south. I didn't notice that the NY van was in front of us as we moved through the toll in Gardner. But when we pulled up to the toll booth and offered our dollar the toll taker held up his hands and said "The car in front of you paid your toll."

Nice. What goes around, comes around. Not often. But sometimes. And that is enough...

No comments: