Friday, May 4, 2012

Tall Ships in Savannah


The Tall Ships are coming to Savannah this weekend. My buddy, David, and I decided to beat the crowds and go up on Thursday. It was a good call.

Savannah is a neat city. Lots of history, lots of parks, an active waterfront and interesting people. Alex has manned the Occupy Savannah site in Bay Street for 284 consecutive days. I admire his calm and thoughtful approach to the multitude of social issues to which they object. And I've got to say I do not disagree with many of them.





 


14 Tall Ships are expected from countries around the world. Savannah is their first US Port of Call. They plan to sail up the East coast, stopping in 4 or 5 other cities. We toured the Indonesian 2 master, the Dewaruci, and viewed 6 or 7 other vessels from France, Cook Island, US Coast Guard; The Penobscot Bay,12 Tribes of Israel; The Peacekeeper, the HMS Bounty.


And, of course, the main attraction was the people. This elderly lady used her walker to pamper her puppy, sun visor and all. We took a run out to Tybee Island, about 30 minutes from Savannah. It's a nice beach, but over developed little barrier island, kinda of an upscale Old Orchard Beach, nicer than the Outer Banks, much nicer than Myrtle Beach not as snooty as Hilton Head, but it ain't no Saint Simons. I'm just sayin...

 

Still ,real nice folks. We stopped by The Crab Shack for a cold beer and met the 60ish woman bartender named Boo. I asked "So, are you neighbors with Atticus?" referring to the characters in To Kill a Mockingbird, a book that ranks second only to the Holy Bible here in the south. That brought a big smile and she forgave me for being a damn yankee. She must have given me total absolution because she kept feeding me free stuff; a free pina colada, a free mojhito and two complementary cups of crab soup and Brunswick stew.

As we were talking a teenager walked up and asked for a virgin pina colada. Boo said in a loud voice, "Oh no baby, we don't do virgins here." I snorted crab soup out my nose.


The shadows started getting long and we headed down the interstate, but not before attempting to capture some shots.

 

 


Savannah... neat place.

No comments: