Monday, January 14, 2013

Memories


Norma and Frank lived on Pillsbury Street in Willard Square in South Portland in 1950 after they were married ( left side of the gray apartment building in the background of the picture). Dad worked at Portland Pipeline as a Casual. Mom worked at a candy store in Portland until she became pregnant with me. I was born in the fall of 51. Gailie came along in the winter of 1953.

I don't remember much about this time except for some fleeting, dreamlike memories, perhaps real, perhaps invented from stories told over the years. I remember walking up stairs holding my fathers hand. I remember standing on a chair next to my sister strapped to a bassinet. I remember the neighbors dog. And I remember my first car accident.

Dad drove Fords. In the early years they were black... weren't they all. The story goes... and my memory confirms, that one day when I was 3, I stood on the seat of my tricycle and climbed in the open window of the old car. I seem to remember pushing the start button and I was told that the car started, lurched into reverse, sputtered down the driveway and struck a fire hydrant.

The fire hydrant still exists as does the apartment. Maybe my memories are correct. Maybe life is but a dream...

No comments: