Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The Big V

 Early in our marriage, Connie convinced me to give up my career in Wastewater Treatment and get my certification as a secondary education science teacher. It was a shitty job...both of them. I believe I got more respect in sewerage treatment. Poor teachers.

We both got jobs in Waterville, me at the high school, she at the elementary school. I taught 5 periods a day; 2 sophomore General Science, 1 Health, 1 sweat hog freshman Earth Science (15 boys. Boneheads, my favorite class. They would be called behaviorally challenged today.) and 1 Jr/Sr. Environmental Science. 

The large Environmental Science class were primarily college bound kids. Many of them were just looking for an easy elective, but some of them were starry eyed kids excited about learning how to save the earth from pollution and overpopulation. Jeff was one such serious student.

Jeff was a great kid. Always did his homework, took notes, paid attention in class. We clicked. At midyear he approached me after class and asked if I would write him a letter of recommendation for medical school. I was pleased and honored to do so. He was accepted.

The school year ended in a flurry. Connie got pregnant with twins. I got let go in a budget cut from my teaching job, we lost our apartment, I got hired as an Environmental Engineer at a local paper mill, we bought a house and the boys were born on New Years Eve. Whew!! 

So much for a career in public education. I did enjoy and miss the students. I did not miss the profession and the highly politicized administration. I was much happier among mill workers.

Fast forward 6 years. Katie was born in April of 84. Everyone was happy and healthy and, by July, Connie had decided we had our family and that it was up to me to make sure we didn't have more kids  A vasectomy seemed like the least risky, potentially reversible, way to go. I made an appointment with our primary care physician, an Osteopath named Dr. Suski. Nice guy. He was the high school sports doctor on the sidelines at all the football games, hockey games, basketball games. And at the local stock car track. My kinda guy.

The dreaded day arrived and the local anesthesia procedure was to be conducted at his office in Fairfield. His nurse, our next door neighbor, Peggy, greeted me with a grin and a laugh. It would soon be all over Fairfield Center that I got my nuts cut. So be it.

Dr. Suski took me into his office and prepped me for the procedure. I was laying on the table with my pants off and my legs spread when he asked, "I have an intern who would like to observe and assist if you are ok with that?" I thought for a moment and said "Sure. I support education" The office door opened and in walked Jeff.

Our eyes locked and he immediately doubled over in hysterical laughter. I jumped off the table, put him in a headlock and gave him a massive noogie. The Doctor was shocked. When things calmed down he said "Obviously you two know each other. Shall we begin? Or would you rather he leave?" I said, "No, he can stay. Obviously, he needs to be educated. Bonehead!"

Jeff completed his doctorate and took up practice as a much loved and respected pediatritian in Waterville. Well done, Jeffery. You wrote me a letter promising to respect my confidentiality. Too late for that now. Carry on, my friend.

No comments: