Saturday, May 1, 2021

More on Work

 Like many, I worked during college. Not just during summer vacations, but throughout the school year. Had not thought about those jobs for awhile.

As a freshman my Aunt, Personal Asst. to the Dean of Agriculture, hooked me with a gig surveying the old Department of Agriculture building and producing mechanical drawings. I never completed the project. Probably disappointed my Aunt, but I had more pressing concerns; joining a fraternity, not flunking out and competing on the UMO wrestling team.

Sophomore year I lived in the frat and took whatever odd jobs I could find in the community, primarily yard work.

Junior year I was offered a job in the Biochemistry Department tending and cleaning a room full of caged rats. Most of the rats were docile and I watered, cleaned and fed them regularly. But there was one batch of rodents that were aggressive. After being bit and attacked several times, I devised a method of opening the cage and plunking them on the nose with a ladle when the stuck their heads out. It worked fine until the Lab Assistance tried to gather the rats for class work. I was called to the Professors office and interrogated as to why that batch of lab animals was so fierce. I never divulge my methods.

In my senior year I was transferred to washing Biochemistry lab glassware. Twice a week I donned goggles, apron and gloves and juggled the slippery wet beakers and exotic vessels trying not to smash or crack them, occasionally unsuccessfully. 

I wish I could say the money was good, but it wasn't. They called it work/study, but it wasn't. It was menial labor. I never listed my experience on my resume. And I spent the money on cheap Peels Big Mouth beer and my girlfriend. Still, it was honest work and work of any kind is noble.

Just still feel bad about those rats. They had to euthanize the lot.

No comments: