Tuesday, November 20, 2007

fishing...

by glen:

Yesterday on St. Simons Sound and back waters ( Hamilton River, Village Creek) fishing with next door neighbor, Steve. Fortunate to have hooked up with him as he knows just about all there is to know about fishing these parts. We got into the Sea Trout and caught 50 or 60 (only kept 30 all over 13", several 16-18"... great sport!) Such awesome beauty in the "low country". As the sun set, the marshes morphed into colors I have never seen. Alligators, dolphins, hawks, osprey, egrets, ducks, pelicans, cormorants. Wonderful...

Back at the Glynn County Marina, as we cleaned the fish, we were surrounded by hundreds of onlookers. Pelicans, gulls (small ones, not like back home), snowy egrets and wharf cats waited patiently until I tossed the fish parts into the water. Then things erupted. Pelicans grabbed each other by the neck, gulls swooped in to steal the scraps; the beating of wings and screeches...What a circus! At one point a pelican had a gull in his mouth until the gull gave up the scrap it had stolen. Fun to watch. We were also surrounded by millions of teeny, biting gnats. And I thought black flies were bad...

So, when I showed up back at home with a bucket full of Sea Trout fillets, I was a little disappointed that Connie refused to let me cook them in the house. (smart girl...). But there's more than one way to skin a cat (fish). I set up my small camping stove on the back deck, Connie cooked up some rice and we had a "Cajin fish fry" (Steve says the secret is in the coating and "Golden Dipt" is the best... he was right!) Wicked good!

There are still 10 pounds of trout fillets in the freezer for Dan and Brenda. Don't forget the Mexican Cholula Hot Sauce... and the Rolaids....

editors note by Sampson: I can't believe he didn't take me fishing. Sounds like he needed my protection with all those fish eaters... especially the cats!

No comments: