Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Last day on the beach

Starting to pack up and disengage from this beautiful spot. If this month on Saint Simons Island is in any way a foretelling of what is to come, we can't wait. It has been relaxing, refreshing and revealing. ( how's that for alliteration Katie, my English major daughter...)

The tide was dead low at Coast Guard Beach. You can walk a half mile out on the sand bars. It's feels like you are walking on the water and sandpipers take full advantage to feed on the stranded crustaceans. Some of the prehistoric horseshoe crabs are monstrous. The dogs romp and race around excitedly chasing birds.

I always bring along my little Panasonic transistor radio ("Panasonic is the best...") so we can groove on the beach. Connie dances on the sandbars like nobody is watching... and nobody is. The pumpkin seemed so out of place, but made for a nice photo op.

Joe and I shared his radio over the years. I took it to Snow Pond and it survived a dunking. I brought it back to him at the VA (where it was labeled). Now it's posing with a pumpkin. Joe believed in buying "the best". He was the best, not perfect, just the best.

His absence at Thanksgiving ( and Christmas, New Years, Super Bowl, etc.) will be poignant for my extended Murphy family this year. They are a great family and I'm proud to be among them. Tina's courage is an inspiration.

OK, time to pack the Thule. Tim, I am so thankful that you set me up with my "turtle". Looks wicked shaahp...

editors note from Sam and Lu: Here we go again! Hope we're as big a hit in Naples as we have been here. Life is good.

that'll do,
Sam n' Lu

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your stories and keeping track of you both!! hope you're having a great time, out "on the open seas" so-to speak. miss ya. Keep the postings coming!! xoxox

Anonymous said...

AKA..elise!